Thursday, January 22, 2009

ER visit

Last night for dinner I had scrambled eggs and thought Evan could eat some off my plate. He has had them before so I figured it was alright. About an hour after we ate, he started throwing up...he got all blotchy, eyes puffy and red...I wasnt sure what was going on. He only threw up once, so i just kind of figured he might be getting the flu along with everyone i know! So I layed him down in his crib but all he did was cry, and then....once again...threw up. Ryan got home around 8:30 from school and helped me with him. I was holding him in my bed and of course....ALL OVER. At this point, his eyes were all puffy again, blotchy, it almost looked like he was breaking out in hives and he started weezing. Ryan immediatly wanted to take him in, so we did. We got to the ER at about 9 and left around 11. THey couldnt really narrow it down to either the flu or an alergic reaction, but they gave him benadryl and a nausea pill and he was doing a lot better. It just scared us when he started weezing. Ryan and I are pretty confident it was an allergic reaction. I feel horrible now that I gave him the eggs, but I had no idea. I guess Evan is going to follow the DeVries men tradition with all thier food allergies. Poor little man.

4 comments:

The Rotman's said...

That is so scary. Glad you were able to get him to the ER. Poor little guy.

The Hill's said...

Sorry to hear about poor Evan but glad he's good.

The Kapenga's said...

Hi Meg- Not sure ifyou got my other message or not but ask his pediatrician about the protien allergy that is fairly common in little kids. I had it when I was little which made Jenna 10x more likely to have it and sure enough she did. She and I reacted the same way Evan did to things like Eggs, peanut butter and other things like salad dressings that have raw egg product in them. Good news is almost all kids outgrow it...I did by 5 and Jenna did by 3. Hope he's feeling much better!!!

De Vries Family said...

Welcome to the family of food allergies and ER visits :)